Attention all middle school, high school, collegiate, and post-collegiate athletes! With the Indoor Season in full swing and outdoor competitions right around the corner, it’s time to gear up with a fresh pair of spikes for 2024 at The Running Well Store (TRWS)!
Here are four crucial tips to consider when shopping for your spikes this year:
- Gender-Specific Spikes: While unisex spikes are still prevalent, at TRWS, we believe in inclusivity. As a women-owned business, we offer a selection of New Balance spikes specifically designated for both women and men. For women looking to size up to a men’s spike, simply go down a size and a half. For example, if you wear a women’s size 9, grab a men’s size 7.5 spike.
- Event-Specific Selection: Tailor your spike choice to your event. Our collection primarily features middle-distance spikes due to their versatility, ideal for sprints, hurdles, and even the mile. If you’re a freshman exploring events, a middle-distance spike is a versatile choice. Sprint spikes are perfect for anything under the 400, while throwing and high jump spikes cater specifically to those disciplines.
- Comfort is Key: While spikes may not provide the plush comfort of trainers, they shouldn’t compromise on blood flow or overall comfort. Test them out in one practice and reserve them for competitions to ensure peak performance.
- Thin Socks: To maximize the snug fit of your spikes, go for super-thin socks. Some athletes even opt to go sockless for that extra close feel. Remember, spikes are meant to fit differently than your trainers.
Picking the right track & field spike is crucial for optimal performance in your specific events. At TRWS, we offer spikes/shoes for the following events:
- Sprints: 100m, 200m, 400m, and their respective relay events.
- Middle Distance: 400m, 800m, 1600m, 3200m, and corresponding relays. Also suitable for Long Jump, High Jump, Triple Jump, Javelin, 100/110m hurdles, 300m hurdles, and Pole Vault.
- Long Distance: 1600m, 3200m, 5000m, 10000m.
- Throws: Shot Put, Discus, Hammer, Weight Throw.
Gear up for success in 2024 with TRWS, where performance meets style!
Sprinting spikes are ideal for short distances at max speed, specifically for 100-meter to 200-meter sprints on a track. These are the lightest running shoes available, designed to position the runner on their toes, with minimal heel cushioning and a generally stiff structure. The front spike plate maximizes the number of pins to enhance force absorption and ensure maximum grip.
Events: 100m dash, 200m dash, 4x100m Relay, 4x200m Relay (MO only)
Middle-distance running spikes maintain a lightweight design with added heel padding, offering enhanced cushioning for distances ranging from 400 to 3200 meters. These spikes are less rigid compared to sprinting spikes, and the spike plate is positioned slightly back on the toe for increased comfort.
IMPORTANT NOTE: This versatile shoe can be used by sprinters, as well as for Jumps and Hurdles. It is often recommended for new track athletes or those uncertain about their specific event.
Events: 100m, 200m, 400m, 800m, 1600m, 3200m, All Relay Races, Long Jump, High Jump, Triple Jump, Hurdles, Pole Vault
Running spikes for 1500m to 10,000m events offer excellent cushioning and lightweight feel. Durable materials ensure endurance. Often grouped with middle-distance spikes. Featuring On’s HELION HF pebax foam and a unique Speedboard plate, it competes with and surpasses the Nike Dragonfly.
Events: 400m to 3200m
This throw shoe is designed for Shot Put and Discus events (Hammer Throw in college), suitable for both Glide and Spin throws. Ideal for throwers dedicated solely to these events or willing to have multiple competition shoes for other events.
This High Jump shoe features a grippy outsole and extra heel spikes, exclusively designed for high jump events. Not suitable for other events. Athletes in multiple events can opt for additional spikes or the versatile Middle-Distance spike.
At TRWS we carry a variety of replaceable spikes, or pins. Each length has its own use, and some are not allowed due to KSHAA, MSHSAA, and NCAA rules.
1/8” Pyramid Spike
1/4″ Pyramid Spike
- If athlete is unsure of which events, they will be running this is the most versatile size
3/8” Pyramid Spike
- Cross Country
- This length is PROHIBTED in all track and field events except Javelin
1/2″ Pyramid Spikes
- Javelin and Cross Country
- This length is PROHIBITED in all track and field events except Javelin